Thursday 9 July 2015

Hallelujah - Panic! At The Disco

I stumbled across Panic! At The Disco early this year and honestly can't believe I hadn't listened to them before. Since then I've listened to all their albums and fallen in love with their individual style and clever lyrics.

'Hallelujah' does not disappoint, it stays true to the more electronic sound of their previous album 'Too Weird To Live, Too Rare To Die!' and is the first single from their fifth studio album. I really love this song, it's a mix of gospel and electric that I feel Brendon Urie executes perfectly. The first 20 seconds had me thinking of 'A Fever You Can't Sweat Out' and put a smile on my face, before descending into the catchy gospel-esque song with a beat you just can't shake.

Brendon Urie, who was raised in a religious family although now does not connect with any specific religion, has said the song is about being able to take responsibility for your actions and own up to your sins. I think it's an important message and delivered in a really clever and captivating way. Check out the video below:


I was interested to see the video, that was released only a few days ago, and honestly expected nothing less than this surreal video that makes you question everything. It did it's role and had my attention for the whole 3:04, even if I was staring in confusion. I think that's one of the things that stands out about P!ATD they're not afraid to be different and have quirky songs with quirky videos. Although, you can still see the sense behind at least some of the video, with Urie confessing his sins and taking responsibility for his actions mirroring the lyrics.

After just one listen you'll be singing along to the catchy chorus and probably doing a little dancing too, it grabs your attention from the get-go and engages you throughout. It's got me massively excited for their fifth album and to see whether they stick to the sound we heard in 'Too Weird To Live, Too Rare To Die', experiment with something new or return to their folk-pop like roots. Whatever happens I'm sure their next album will be as popular as their previous ones and highly recommend buying this single and keeping an eye out for their album.



No comments:

Post a Comment